About the Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.
The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in two iconic sites in New York City-The Met Fifth Avenue and The Met Cloisters. Since it was founded in 1870, The Met has always aspired to be more than a treasury of rare and beautiful objects. Every day, art comes alive in the Museum's galleries and through its exhibitions and events, revealing both new ideas and unexpected connections across time and across cultures.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
This role provides scientific instrument and methodology support under the supervision of a Research Scientist. Duties will include testing, implementing, and evaluating new sample preparation methodologies and mass spectrometric (MS) analysis for the evaluation of protein-containing art related materials. Duties also include the preparation and artificial ageing of replica samples; coordination of sample collection, distribution, and analytical results from three institutions; perform and evaluate sample preparation methodologies by MS. This 9-month full time position (hourly rate $24/hour plus benefits) is funded by the Richard F. Lounsbery Foundation.
Anticipated start date: as soon as possible.
Please send cover letter, resume, and two letters of reference to email@example.com with "Sr Research Assistant/Scientific Research Department" in the subject line.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Assists in the evaluation of novel and established sample preparation methodologies for analysis of cultural heritage using established advanced MS analytical techniques and protocols including but not limited to proteins.
• Prepare samples according to established and/or new protocols for proteomics and other omics analyses.
• Accompany samples and either perform MS analysis or alternatively work with collaborators to perform MS analysis.
• Performs data analysis, optimizing protocols, statistical comparison of data sets, and exploring platforms as needed.
• Researches, plans, conducts, and documents, the creation of replica exemplar materials as well as artificial ageing protocols, followed by characterization of the artificially aged material.
• Plans, conducts, and documents the collection and dissemination of replica and authentic samples to collaborating institutions.
• Manages and collects data from collaborating institutions.
• Performs literature reviews of scientific and conservation publications, proposing improvements to existing protocols and procedures.
• Writes progress and summary reports, standard operating procedures, and annotated bibliographies on related topics and activities.
• Develops platforms and activities for public engagement, as well as writes scientific articles, papers, reports or books, as appropriate.
• Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
• Strong laboratory experience in organic, biological, or biochemical chemistry (preferred).
• Experience preparing protein or other materials for analysis by ELISA, LC/MS or MALDI (preferred).
• Experience operating and analyzing data from at least two analytical tools. Examples
include but are not limited to optical spectroscopy, Raman or IR spectroscopy, liquid or gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, ELISA or MALDI (required).
• Familiar with statistical analysis of data (preferred).
• Previous museum experience (preferred).
• Proficient in Microsoft Word processing, Excel spreadsheet manipulation, and use of
PowerPoint for documenting, processing, and presenting information (required).
• Strong organizational skills (required).
• Strong command of both written and spoken English (required).
Knowledge and Education:
• M.S. in chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, or biology, or BS with equivalent training and experience. (required)
• Strong general chemistry and organic chemistry lab experience. (required)
• Strong command of both written and spoken English. (required)