Salary Range: £29,176-£34,804
Cambridge University Library (CUL) is currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced book and paper conservator to work as a Conservation and Collection Care Manager in the Conservation and Collection Care Department. The Conservation and Collection Care Department (C&CC) sits in the Special Collections Division, which is part of the Research Collections Directorate. The successful candidate will be part of a new management structure, working with the Head of Department and one other manager in the line management of staff. The department currently comprises seventeen staff members (excluding this new post) and specialises in carrying out conservation treatments to the Library's Special Collections, which include manuscripts, early printed books, photographs, art on paper, papyrus, parchment and archives. The team is also responsible for undertaking preservation to prolong the lifespan of the objects in our care. Preventative measures include environmental monitoring, integrated pest management, disaster management and providing bespoke housing for vulnerable objects.
The Conservation and Collection Care Manager will have excellent management, organisational and communication skills and support the Head of Department to ensure that the Library is at the forefront of current thinking and best practice with regard to preservation and conservation for libraries and archives. Together, the Conservation and Collection Care Managers and Head of Department, contribute to the wider strategic and operational planning for the Special Collections Division as a whole. There will also be opportunities to propose and carry out treatments on Special Collections material.
The duties for the Conservation and Collection Care Manager will include:
• Leading, managing and motivating staff of the C&CC Department
• Driving and ensuring best practice and ensuring procedures, protocols and documentation are fit for purpose
• Assisting the Head of Department in the development and implementation of training sessions/programmes for new and established members of staff (including staff of other departments as appropriate)
• Proposing and carrying out conservation treatments and managing/supervising staff carrying out treatments
• Together with the Head of Department and other Manager, liaising with the Head of Special Collections and other Heads of Division/Departments to plan the prioritisation of materials for treatment
• Representing the University Library in the wider world of conservation and preservation and maintaining contacts with relevant institutions both nationally and internationally for the exchange of ideas, techniques and developments
To apply for this vacancy, please click the Cambridge University Job Opportunities link. This will direct you to the Universiy's web-based recruitment system, where you will be able to log in to create an online application form.
Informal enquiries are welcomed by Jim Bloxam, Head of Conservation and Collection Care, on 01223 747410, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 5th April 2020.
Interviews are expected to be held on 27th or 29th April 2020.
Please quote reference VE22766 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.