Cuming Museum in London devastated by fire

User menu

LONDON - The building housing the Cuming Museum, the Newington library and some local authority premises has been damaged by a fire that broke out around midday on the 25th March 2013. A flotilla of fire fighters and over 20 fire engines were called to tackle the blaze that was finally put under control later that afternoon.
Thirty people were evacuated from the building but luckily there were no reports of injuries. Eyewitnesses described the fire as starting from one area on the roof and spreading very quickly to the rest of the roof structure.
Curators are hopeful that the bulk of the collection has not been damaged as the permanent display galleries only house approximately 1% of the whole collection. The remaining artefacts are in storage leaving only water as a possible cause for damage in that area of the building.
The Cuming Museum was founded in 1906 to house the Cuming family's private collection, an eclectic array of artefacts including rare Egyptian archaeological objects, Roman antiquities, Chinese ornaments and also a collection of objects from Captain Cook's voyages in the 18th century. At the time of the blaze, a temporary exhibition was mounted in the museum with objects on loan from the British Museum. It is still unclear whether these loans had suffered any damage during the fire.