At the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, including those from traditionally underrepresented groups in the museum field, who are inspired by our shared purpose and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
Philadelphia Museum of Art are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected status.
How You Will Contribute
The Project Assistant Conservator will carry out examination and treatment of objects (e.g. ceramics, metals, composites, miniatures) for display in new gallery space that expands and reinterprets the presentation of American Art (1650-1840) in the museum’s collections. This role will work with conservation staff, curators, designer, and mount maker to assist in installation process. This is a full-time opportunity available immediately and anticipated to continue for approximately nine months.
Specifically, you will:
• Perform treatment of ceramics, metal, and other objects as identified by senior conservator, including coordinating concurrent projects and standard written documentation.
• Participate in routine support activities within the Conservation Division as a fully integrated member of the team.
• Interface with curators, collections assistants, art handlers, and installation designers to help realize the safe installation of the objects.
Your background and experience include:
• Degree or certification from a recognized graduate conservation training program
• Demonstrated visual, manual, and scholarly aptitude
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
What We Offer
Philadelphia Museum of Art employees are at the center of the museum and we encourage everyone to be actively engaged in museum culture and activities. As an employee, you will have access to numerous museum perks including, but not limited to:
• Free general admission to the museum for you and your immediate family
• Discounted guest tickets for general admission and special exhibitions
• Discounts on gift memberships
• Special staff tours and presentations from our world-renowned curatorial staff
• Discounts at the museum restaurant, all museum cafés, and museum retail stores
Philadelphia Museum of Art offer a competitive benefits package* for employees including:
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits
• Fully paid short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance
• Health savings or flexible spending account program
• Retirement savings program with museum match
• Paid vacation, personal days, sick days, and holidays
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on a variety of factors including the employee’s regular schedule and tenure.
How to Apply
Go to: https://philamuseum.applytojob.com/apply/flAYbyglLu/Project-Assistant-Co...