The Philadelphia Museum of Art actively seeks to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. They welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, including those from traditionally underrepresented groups in the museum field, who are inspired by our shared purpose and enjoy working collaboratively with others. They're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected status.
How You Will Contribute
The Philadelphia Museum of Art invites applications for a one-year Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship in Scientific Research, which begins September 2020 and ends August 2021.
The fellowship will provide the opportunity to gain working knowledge of and proficiency in the scientific research and instrumental analysis of cultural heritage materials within a museum setting. The fellow will be integrated fully into the museum's Scientific Research Department and also will carry out a pilot study using portable FTIR for the analysis of plastics in the museum's collections, and will work closely with staff and fellow in Decorative Arts and Sculpture Conservation.
The position includes benefits and stipend for research and/or conferences.
Your background and experience include:
• PhD in the physical sciences granted within the last five years; course work in material science or polymer chemistry helpful
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proven ability to plan and execute original research
• Acute attention to detail and ability to work collaboratively and flexibly
• Strong interest in pursuing a scientific career in a museum setting
• Additional education or background in studio art, art history or conservation desirable
The deadline to submit applications is March 15, 2020
Please include the following with your application:
• Cover letter with statement of interest
• Curriculum vitae including publication record
• Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
• Two confidential letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with candidate's work and one personal reference mailed directly to:
Dr. Kate Duffy, Conservation Division
Philadelphia Museum of Art
PO Box 7646
Philadelphia, PA 19101-7646
Our employees are at the center of the museum and we encourage everyone to be actively engaged in museum culture and activities. As an employee, you will have access to numerous museum perks including, but not limited to:
• Free general admission to the museum for you and your immediate family
• Discounted guest tickets for general admission and special exhibitions
• Discounts on gift memberships
• Special staff tours and presentations from our world-renowned curatorial staff
• Discounts at the museum restaurant, all museum cafés, and museum retail stores
We offer a competitive benefits package* for employees including:
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits
• Fully paid short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance
• Health savings or flexible spending account program
• Retirement savings program with museum match
• Paid vacation, personal days, sick days, and holidays
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on a variety of factors including the employee's regular schedule and tenure.
For salary information, please contact me directly or email HR@philamuseum.org.